Methodism came to West Branch about 1864, when Clark Bean organized a class meeting. In 1870 the first building program began, with the first building being dedicated in 1871. Springdale dedicated its church building in 1875, and the two towns were yoked together for a long time after that.
Because of membership growth, a new building was needed. In 1913, the building was built at our current location. In 1926, the building was added on to, to make more room for classrooms.
In 1940 the stucco exterior was replaced with red brick. This building would serve the congregation well until 1958 when they voted that a new building was necessary. A suitable site could not be found so they decided to rebuild right where they were.
The Methodists of West Branch met at St. Bernadette’s Catholic Church until funds could be raised for the new building. In 1966, the old brick church was burned down on purpose, many West Branch residents gathered to watch the church go. On Dec 3, 1967, our current building…still at Downey and Green St…was dedicated.
Shortly after the building dedication, First Methodist Episcopal Church of West Branch became West Branch United Methodist Church, when the new denomination formed in 1968. All along, it was the hope of the congregation to grow in accessibility for the community. The next phase of that hope was realized in January of 2017 when the new entryway, including an elevator was dedicated.